Friday, February 19, 2010

The Guest Room


When we moved into our house there were a few things we wanted to change, we wanted to paint a few rooms but the big project was in what would become our guest room. You see there were three painted wooden frames nailed into the wall, I don't know why... 'Decoration' is all I can think of. Now I'm sure that doesn't sound too bad but when the previous owners put them up, they really wanted to make sure they weren't coming down.



Each one of these little treasures were held up with some sort of adhesive directly on the wall and then for good measure 42 nails... Each, not total... This picture is of Dave prying them off the wall with a hammer (this was also one of the rooms we wanted to paint, the blue is a little too bright for my idea of a guest room)


As you can see the frames had a piece of wood in the middle that was nailed in. The project we took on was big but we had a lot of fun doing it together.


After everything had been pried off, the next step was to spackle over the wall to cover up all the nail holes and the rips that the adhesive made. I only have a picture of the 'finished' product because my hands were covered in spackle and I didn't want to ruin my camera by trying to take a picture. After we spackled, we had to sand it down to make the wall smooth again, that meant a lot of white dust! It was lucky that we had just gotten a really good deal on a shop vac (Black Friday sales!) there is no way a normal vacuum would have been able to clean all that up!


After all that work, we painted. Isn't it wonderful all painted and smooth? I was very proud of how it looked when we were all finished with this project!


I thought I would add another picture of our guest room. The room is not completely done yet, I still have some decorating to do but people have been asking for pictures and I thought I would start with this one :)

6 comments:

Helena said...

Whoa, those were huge! I didn't realize how big they were. I love how they glued them AND put 42 nails into each one.

The finished room looks good. and it's fun to sleep in!

Chantel said...

Awesome. You guys did great work, the room looks wonderful!

I'm glad you posted pictures, and didn't ruin your camera in the process.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the room. Great job. It's fun doing house projects with the hubby isn't it?

Amy said...

I love your guest room! The colors are nice. Home projects are so fun! 42 nails is really random, though--what?!

Mrs Abbott said...

Good job, guys! It looks great!

Douglas Smith said...

That is really strange. Three wooden frames each nailed in with 42 nails.

What were the previous owners thinking?

Decorations ... hmmmm. Just a tad bit eccentric I'd say.

Good job redecorating. The guest room looks great!