Friday, October 12, 2012

The Window Well From Hell (Part Two)


I realized I never got around to 'part two' of our window well protect... Oops! 7 months later is better than never right?

The final step was to fill the emptied out window well with gravel, I shopped around and found some okay deals but wasn't really sold on anything. I happened to be talking with someone from my 'home ward' growing up and she had just redone her window wells, as I was leaving I felt prompted to ask her where she purchased her gravel from. It turns out she had miscalculated the amount she needed and had a ton left over she was trying to get rid of, if we could transport it, it was ours! (Thanks Sister Smedley!!)   


We borrower a trailer and then my Dad, brother-in-law Mike, little brother David, sister Chantel and Dave and I headed over to shovel some gravel. Shoveling up little rocks is much more difficult than you might think... They tend to go everywhere as you make a fool of yourself chasing them around the ground with your shovel!    


Dave had to keep distributing the rock in the trailer to try and keep the weight even, we didn't want it to flip over. Not only would it be dangerous, but there was no way I was shoveling up those rock again... If they went flying, they were going to stay where they landed and our window well would just get to stay the way it was : )  


Somehow the tallest of the bunch got the shortest shovel... I'm not really sure how that one happened!


Once we got back to our house, my Dad took wheelbarrow duty, David and Mike shoveled the rocks, and Chantel supervised* 
*(huddled against the cold)


David also helped pour the gravel into the window well, Dave was at the bottom of the well scooping out the rocks and making sure they didn't damage anything as they went down. He also wore a mask because the dust that the gravel kicked off as it was poured down was pretty crazy!


After everything was completed, we treated everyone to pizza for all their hard work!

 When all was said and done, nothing got damaged, no one got seriously injured, and the project took much, much longer than anticipated. But the real question is, did it work? Are our water problems solved?
The answer is-
Sort of... but that is a whole other blog post.
(one that hopefully it won't take me seven months to write) 



1 comment:

Mrs Abbott said...

Thanks for the update!